Thursday, September 5, 2013

Murray loses in straight sets to Wawrinka!

Andy Murray

Well I go out for a couple drinks with mates and this happens. Defending US Open champion Andy Murray has just apparently been outclassed and outplayed by the talented Stanislas Wawrinka from Switzerland. Wawrinka who has reached four ATP finals this year so far (winning one in Portugal) eased to a surprised 63 64 62 victory over the Wimbledon champion. Remarkably Warwrinka didn't face a break point during the entire match!  This now makes it the first time since 2004 that a defending champion hasn't made it to the semi finals. Quoting BBC sport Wawrinka said:-

: "Andy Murray's the defending champion, he's a tough opponent. For me to get through in three sets is amazing.
The first set was not easy. It was really windy today. To get that set gave me confidence for the rest of the match.
"So much as going through my head in the last game. I just try to be focused, to play solidly, aggressively, to take the match and not let him back.
"I'm going to relax a little bit, and then I'll watch the night session to see who wins tonight."

Meanwhile Murray has just said:-
"I thought he played great. I made a few mistakes but for the most part he hit a lot of lines, he hit big shots and he played too well.
"When it's breezy conditions it's difficult but I've had a good run the last couple of years and I played a bad match today.
"When he had the wind with him he served very well and I had to do a lot of defending."

No comments:

Post a Comment